Soil Learning Center
At TerraVesco, we believe that unlocking the genius of nature through scientific inquiry will fuel modern, sustainable agriculture, landscaping and home gardening.
The Soil Learning Center demonstrates our commitment to increasing our collective understanding and knowledge about the soil. It provides a place where you can read academic research and published articles about soil and plant health, and the results of one of our latest academic or commercial field trials. Or you can browse our video library and learn more about organic remedies for your home garden or landscape.
Ask questions of our soil and plant experts or read our blog. We hope you’ll join us in learning more about the nature of soils and how to grow more healthy plants.
Scientific Studies and Research
- “Effect of Aqueous Extracts from Vermicomposts on Attacks by Cucumber Beetles (Acalymna vittatum) (Fabr.) on Cucumbers and Tobacco Hornworm (Manduca sexta) (L.) on Tomatoes.”
- “Seed Germination and Seedling Growth of Tomato and Lettuce as Affected by Vermicompost Water Extracts (Teas).”
- “The Influence of vermicomposts on plant growth and pest incidence.”
- “318 Vermicompost Enhances Germination in Low-viability Echinacea purpurea Seed.”
- “The influence of earthworms on nutrient dynamics during the process of vermicomposting.”
- “Microbiological community analysis of vermicompost tea and its influence on the growth of vegetables and cereals.”
- “From the Ground Up: A Grower’s Education in Life, Love, and the Movement that’s Changing the Nation” Nolan, Jeanne (2013)
- ” Seeds of Change: The Living Treasure.” Ausubel, Kenny. (1994)
- ” Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer “ Carpenter, Novella. (2009)
- ” Voodoo Vintners: Oregon’s Astonishing Biodynamic Winegrowers “ Cole, Katherine. (2011)
- ” Soil Science Simplified “ Kohnke, H. and Franzmeier, D.P. (1995)
- ” Teaming with Microbes: The Organic Gardener’s Guide to the Soil Food Web “ Lowenfels, J., & Lewis, W. (2010)
- ” Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations “ Montgomery, David R. (2007)
- ” Eat Up.” Mandel, Lauren. (2013)
- ” Cows Save the Planet and Other Improbable Ways of Restoring Soil to Heal the Earth “ Schwartz, Judith D. (2013)
- “The Living Soil: Earthworms”
- “Nitrate Contamination in California Groundwater: An Integrated Approach to Basin Assessment and Resource Protection”
- “Higher Food Prices and Local Food Labels.”
- “Farming Communities Facing Crisis Over Nitrate Pollution, Study Says”
- “How Sustainable Agriculture Can Address the Environmental and Human Health Harms of Industrial Agriculture.”
- “A Look at California’s Organic Agriculture Production.”
- “Comparison of Production Costs and Resource Use for Organic and Conventional Production Systems.”
- “Sidebar: Interest in Organic Winegrowing is Increasing.”
- “Growth Predicted in Biologically Integrated and Organic Farming.”
- “The Climate Benefits of Organic Agriculture”
- “American Academy of Pediatrics’ clinical report highlights benefits of organic.”
- “Consumer-driven U.S. organic market surpasses $31 billion in 2011.”
- “Industry Statistics and Projected Growth.”
- “Seventy-eight percent of U.S. families say they purchase organic foods.”
- “USDA Celebrates National Farmers Market Week, August 4-10 Confirms Growth and Sustainability in Farmers Markets.”
Guides and Presentations
- “Soil Health for Organic Production” – Friedrich, H. and Rupple, A., University of Arkansas & Mitchell, C., Auburn University. Southern SARE – Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education.
Join The Underground Revolution!
Enter your name and email and get 10% off your first order!